Monday, July 4, 2016

Old standby

I keep returning to the Longs Peak trail, for good reasons. It's closer to Boulder than many other RMNP trails; it has superb scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities; it's not super crowded; it provides serious elevation gain (4800' to the summit); and it connects to several other trails.

Today I did a quick hike up to the Keyhole. How quick? I started the hike at 7:30 am and reached the Keyhole at 10:15, despite taking a snack break and stopping to talk to a couple of hikers en route. It was refreshingly cool at 13,200'. I only stayed a few minutes, then hiked down to the junction with the N. Longs Peak trail. I took a short side trip on this trail, maybe a mile if that, before retracing my steps back to the junction. Clouds were rolling in, so I didn't want to hang out above treeline.

Lots of critters on the trail today. I saw about thirty marmots including one small pup. The pup was on a rock next to the trail, and mama marmot sounded the alarm when I approached. I also saw one pika and a half dozen "least" chipmunks. On the domesticated side there were ten horses corralled at the Chasm Lake junction. I didn't see any horses on the trail itself, but it was easy to tell where they had been.

Okay one gripe. To the hikers that left banana peels and orange peels in front of the Agnes Vaille shelter at the Keyhole: knock it off!

Stats: 14 miles and 4400' elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment