Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lawn Lake

Lawn Lake is an alpine lake on the north side of Rocky Mountain park. It once had an earthen dam, but the dam failed in 1982 causing a flash flood which killed several campers, scarred the Roaring River valley and severely damaged the city of Estes Park.

But I don't blame the lake, as it didn't ask to be dammed. So today I hiked to the lake from the Lumpy Ridge trail head near Estes Park. The trail starts near the privately owned MacGregor ranch, and for a mile or two it passes through the ranch. To the south are the ranch's broad meadows, and to the north are the granite outcroppings of Lumpy ridge. These formations are very popular with rock climbers. In fact as I walked by Pear Buttress I heard several climbers talking but I couldn't see where they were.



As I hiked I was thinking that this could be called the "delayed gratification" route to Lawn Lake. For 8 miles there isn't much in the way of spectacular scenery, just a lot of trees, high hills and from time to time a rushing stream. There is a shorter trail, but if I had taken that I would have missed a meadow where beavers have taken down all of the aspen trees.


After a long slog up the Roaring River valley the trail reaches the top of a gentle ridge before dropping down the other side to join the Lawn Lake trail The first sign of the lake is the ravine from the 1982 flood.



The lake sits at just under 11,000' elevation and is bordered by high peaks, including 13,500' Fairchild mountain to the far right in the first photo. The shoreline has plenty of smooth rocks and even a small sandy beach. It would be a nice place to camp, and there are several nearby campsites.



I hiked to the north end of the lake, but when the trail hit a big snowfield I decided that was my cue to turn back. As I retraced my step my friend the marmot was waiting on the trail for me.


In all the hike was 20 miles and about 3500' elevation gain. On the drive back to Boulder I saw a bunch of cars pulled off the road at Lion Gulch, and when I looked where everyone was facing I saw two bighorn sheep on the rocks above Hwy 36. I may return to Lumpy Ridge next spring, as there is an 11-mile loop that would be a good early season hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment