Saturday, October 8, 2016

Take me to the river

I didn't think I'd get all the way to the Colorado on this trip, but since my foot felt okay this morning and conditions were optimal (mild and overcast) I decided to go for it. After the usual hike down Bright Angel to Indian Garden I descended through the canyon's 1.7 billion year old "basement" rock.


Although the Vishnu schist is mostly gray the side canyon is greener than you might expect, due to runoff from the rim that drains into Pipe creek.


A pair of nice little waterfalls in Pipe creek. This would be a good place to cool off on the hike out


Looking down on a Colorado river beach from River Rest house.


Yes the beach on the far side looks inviting, but NPS warns hikers not to wade or swim in the swift currents of the Colorado.


Here's the clear water of Pipe creek entering the muddy Colorado.


And some small rapids to give the rafters something to talk about. On the Rim hike I learned that most of these rapids are due to slides from the side canyons. For example in 1984 Monument creek flooded so severely that 9' diameter boulders rolled down a massive mudslide, creating new rapids.


See this is why the Colorado gets so muddy: inconsiderate hikers washing off their dusty feet!


Hike up was pretty quick, though at one point rangers closed the trail for 10 minutes while the AmeriCorps crew slid some big rocks into place. I reached the rim five and a half hours after starting the hike.







No comments:

Post a Comment