Monday, October 10, 2016

Arches a la carte

Sunday morning I left Grand Canyon early, taking down my tent and hitting the road around 7:00 am. On my way out of the park the Fit passed 100,000 miles


I arrived in Moab early afternoon, and after a week of eating energy bars, pretzels and soup I hit the grocery store and fixed myself a big salad. Then I headed to Arches, but since the campground is at the far end of the park I made several stops en route to visit arches and other formations near the road.

First stop was the Avenue, a 1 mile walk through sheer cliffs and spires.



While looking at the cliff above I noticed several climbing straps hanging from a crack route.



Then on to Balanced Rock, where I went for the 2001 A Space Odyssey "The Dawn of Man" shot.


Next up was the Windows




... and Double Arch


Really it's an embarrassment of riches. And in fact I skipped the park's iconic Delicate Arch, as I didn't want to do any uphill hiking after having trekked out of the Grand Canyon the previous day.

Once again I got a scenic campsite at Devil's Garden, but the level tent location at site #40 was a bit too close to the road and across from the restrooms. So it wasn't as nice or secluded as my previous spot, site #53. But it was pleasant making dinner in T-shirt weather -- and even nicer getting up to mild temperatures Monday morning. The drive back to Boulder was uneventful except for traffic jams due to construction on I-70 around Silverplume and Highway 93 north of Golden. Oh, and of course more road work in Pine Brook Hills, but this was worth it since a pint of Häagen-Dazs was waiting for me at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment