Sunday, October 2, 2016

Devil's Garden

Arrived at Arches NP on Saturday around 5:00 pm. As I pulled in I could see several rainstorms a few miles apart. One was over the Devil's Garden campground, which got a good soaking. But 20 minutes later the rain was over and I was able to set up my tent. Site #53 was perfect.




Since I was tired from the drive I turned in early. Next morning I fixed breakfast including home roasted coffee, mmm-mmm good. Then I took down the tent and drove to Devil's Garden trailhead. I had planned to get in a short, quick hike before heading to the Grand Canyon. Well the hike was short but not quick, as I wound up hiking with a woman I met a half mile from the trailhead. Laura is a biologist from Aurora CO, who was in Moab for a century (100 mile) bike ride. She completed the ride the previous day, and was unwinding by doing a hike. She kept referring to herself as a "wimp" because she isn't a fast hiker, but then she mentioned that she's training for an Ironman triathlon in Cozumel. Some wimp!

Back to the hike, Devil's Garden is an unusual trail that traverses several rock fins. If you don't pay attention (and I wasn't) it's easy to lose the trail, but the tricky terrain is worth it as the arches are amazing. The first arch is the longest, Landscape arch.






No comments:

Post a Comment