Friday, April 8, 2016

Road trip!

Last year I took two long hiking vacations. In mid September I did a 16-day road trip through Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I hiked at Colorado National Monument, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon north rim, Flagstaff (Humphrey's peak), Grand Canyon south rim and Canyonlands. Then in late December I flew to Phoenix and spent a week hiking in South Mountain park, mostly on the National trail.

For 2016 I'm planning another road trip: a return to the Grand Canyon south rim. This time I hope to hike from the rim to the river and back, something I didn't attempt last year due to 99 degree temperatures in the inner canyon. The deepest I went was about 500 vertical feet below Indian Garden (see map below). Hopefully it will be slightly cooler in October.

Itinerary
  • Sat 10/1: 🚗 Niwot > Colorado NM (273 miles), 🚶  Monument Canyon (12 miles),  ðŸš— CMN > Arches (119 miles), 🚶 Devil’s Garden (8 miles), Devil’s Garden
  • Sun 10/2 🚗 Arches > Grand Canyon south rim (351 miles), 🚶 (6-8 miles), Mather
  • Mon 10/3 - Sat 10/8 GC 🚶 (10-15 miles), Mather
  • Sun 10/9 GC 🚶 (10-15 miles), Ten X (Tusayan - changing camp due to 7-day limit at Mather)
  • Mon 10/10 - Fri 10/14 GC 🚶 (10-15 miles), Mather
  • Saturday 10/15 GC, 🚶 (6-8 miles), 🚗 GC > Arches (351 miles), Devil’s Garden
  • Sun 10/16 🚗 Arches > Colorado NM  (119 miles)🚶  Monument Canyon (12 miles),  🚗 CNM > Niwot (273 miles)






No comments:

Post a Comment