Friday, April 15, 2016

I have reservations...

Camp sites, that is. In general it's possible to get "walk-in" camp sites at National Parks if you arrive early in the day, but I prefer advance reservations. For my October trip I plan to spend two nights at Arches NP. The Devil's Garden campground has just 50 sites and is insanely popular. At recreation.gov you can book camp sites 6 months in advance, but on April 1 when I booked a site for October 1 only a dozen sites were still available. Presumably many people had already made multi-day reservations for late September, e.g. September 29 thru October 2. Today I booked a site at Arches for the return trip, and I was fortunate to get one of three remaining spots.

It's much easier getting a camp site at the Grand Canyon south rim, as Mather campground has over 300 sites. The rub is that you're limited to 7 consecutive days, and I plan to be at the GC for 13 days. So I booked 7 days at Mather, one day at Ten-X (just outside the park near Tusayan), and then 5 more days at Mather.

Mather is a super convenient location for tent camping. At $18/night the price is right, and the campsite has pay showers, a laundromat, a general store and even free wi-fi outlets at picnic tables outside the laundromat. I haven't yet been to the store but it includes a grocery with fresh produce, craft beer and a deli. 

No comments:

Post a Comment