Saturday, August 6, 2016

Easy hike

Because my stoopid Achilles tendon is not yet 100% I did an easy hike today, just the Mesa trail from Chautauqua to the south trailhead and back. The weather was mild and overcast, so a good day to hike a lower elevation trail. No wildlife sightings today, just a boatload of trail runners.

I blame the tendon injury on two things: First overuse from hiking Pikes peak and Bear peak back to back. This caused the tendon to swell. Then further aggravation due to my fairly new Oboz Sawtooth hiking shoes. The back of the shoe is higher and stiffer than I'm used to, and it rubs the tendon when I'm hiking downhill. So for now I'm hiking in Saucony trail runners.

As for the tendon, I'm continuing with rest, ice and Ibuprofen. Hike stats: 13 miles, 1600' elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment