Saturday, May 21, 2016

Bear Peak

After several rainy weekends Boulder had sunshine today, so game on for hiking. There are multiple trails that head up Bear Peak, but probably the most popular starting place is the National Center for Atmospheric Research at the end of Table Mesa drive. Bear Peak is the pointy summit west of NCAR.


To reach Bear canyon you first walk a short distance on the Walter Orr "weather trail," a nature trail with signs explaining Boulder weather patterns such as Chinook winds. A connector trail leads to the Mesa trail, and Bear canyon is about a half mile south of the junction. Just below the turnoff for Bear Peak the Mesa trail still shows major damage from the 2013 floods, when in a single week an entire year's rainfall fell on the steep canyon walls.


Bear canyon is quite scenic, with towering rock formations and a (normally) small stream. The grade is moderate so it's very popular with trail runners -- about two dozen passed me on this stretch. After 1.7 miles the trail turns east, following Bear Peak's west ridge another 1.6 miles to the summit. As the trail approaches the saddle between Bear Peak and S. Boulder Peak it enters a large burn area.




The summit of Bear Peak is a jagged pile of rocks, which are fun to climb. I intended to hang out and enjoy the view, but as soon as I stopped moving dozens of gnats landed on me. So I only stayed long enough to take photos of the summit, S Boulder Peak, Green mountain and (magnified) the snow covered Divide.





For the return trip I took the short but steep Fern canyon trail. I didn't see any ferns but I did hear many hikers huffing and puffing on their way up. There were also a few trail runners leaping from rock to rock, but I took my time to avoid tripping on a rock (as one of the trail runners did). By the time I got back to the car it was quite warm, a bit hazy and humid. I forgot to mention that today was my first "shorts" day of 2016, so I got to show off the palest legs in Boulder County. Fortunately everyone was wearing sunglasses. Stats: 7.5 miles, 2500' elevation gain.




No comments:

Post a Comment