Saturday, May 28, 2016

Be prepared

Great hike today despite my leaving various things at home. I forgot to bring hiking socks, short sleeve shirt and camera. Really nothing major since running socks work fine for hiking, and when it warmed up  I just rolled up my long sleeve shirt. The camera would have been nice as I saw a ton of wildflowers including purple and white irises. So much for being prepared.

I had been planning a short hike since rain was forecast for late morning, but the skies stayed mostly clear. So from Chautauqua park I hiked the length of the Mesa trail, about 6.5 miles. Then on the return trip I headed up Shadow canyon to the saddle between S. Boulder Peak and Bear Peak. From there I hiked up Bear Peak, then down Bear canyon to Mesa. Epic hike. Weather was great, foothills were amazingly green, song birds were out and Ponderosa pines were giving off that wonderful vanilla scent. I'm claiming 15 miles and 4000' elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment